How the D.O.L. Helps Injured Workers

The Department of Labor (DOL) helps injured workers through its Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP). OWCP administers four major disability compensation programs that provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation, and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

The four programs are:

  • The Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) provides benefits to federal employees and their dependents.
  • The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) provides benefits to maritime workers and their dependents.
  • The Black Lung Benefits Act (BLBA) provides benefits to coal miners and their dependents who are disabled by black lung disease.
  • The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program (EEOICPA) provides benefits to energy workers and their dependents who are disabled by certain occupational illnesses.

To be eligible for benefits under OWCP, you must have been injured or become ill as a result of your employment. You must also have filed a claim for benefits within a certain time period, which varies depending on the program.

If you are an injured worker, you can contact OWCP for help filing a claim, getting medical treatment, or appealing a decision. You can also contact OWCP for information about your rights and benefits.

Here are some of the ways OWCP can help injured workers:

  • Provide wage replacement benefits to help cover lost wages while you are unable to work.
  • Pay for medical treatment, including hospitalization, surgery, and prescription drugs.
  • Provide vocational rehabilitation services to help you get back to work.
  • Pay for death benefits to the survivors of workers who are killed on the job.

OWCP also has a number of resources available to help injured workers, including:

  • A website with information about workers’ compensation benefits and programs.
  • A toll-free helpline that can answer questions about workers’ compensation.
  • A network of outreach offices that can provide assistance to injured workers.

If you have been injured on the job, you should contact OWCP to learn more about your rights and benefits.